Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tomato Crostini









To lighten up dinner as of late, I've been skipping making a starch, and instead making some sort of fresh appetizer type dish as a side dish instead. Also, with the plethora of tomatoes that have arrived at our household, I've been searching out every Tomatoe centered dish I could find. This one paired perfectly with the Caesar Salad I wanted to make, because I could use the crostini's for the croutons, by breaking them up. Two dishes with one dish effort, not that's something to rave about.




This one is from Marie Claire Magazine. The article is by Gillian Duffy and the title of there recipes are "food in 15 minutes" everything is bery picnic related, so I'm guessing it was a summer issue. As for what year? I have no idea. As a side note, the Chief Commentator, seems to enjoy the Marie Claire Recipes that have popped up in the making, I am wondering if his palate is aligned with their chef. Part of me is thinking I should get myself another subscription.


anywho, onto the recipe...


Tomato Crostini (serves 4)


French Baguette, cut on the bias into 16 1/2" thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb unpeeled vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in 1/4" dice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
1 tablespoong capers, drained
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 preheat oven to 400.
2 brush both sides of bread with oil, bake 10 minutes or until golden-eged and crisp. cool. packed in plastic bas, crostini stay crisp for several days. (like they stick around that long)
3 Place tomatoes in a bowl, stir in garlic, basil and capers reamining oil, salt and pepper.
Allow guests to spoon topping onto crostini themselves.
ok - here is a note from me to you. You may be saying, the capers have enough salt, I don't want to use any. use some. use good sea salt, and sprinkle directly on tomatoes and give them a stir, salt helps release the natural juices and flavors of the tomatoes, and makes this dish all the more yummy.
Also - this is just my comment, usually I toss in a little balsamic vinegar into my bruschetta dishes... this one has the capers. I think i'm love the capers.
Cheif Commentators review: Would like some sorta cheese involved. Motz or Parmesean, he also would have liked bigger bread for the crostini's, because it was delicious, and it seemed like he spent a lot of time, making his food nibbles.
Note - some of the crostini's became the croutons for my Caesar. Perfect Caesar croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment